Minutes of the Missoula Sunrise Rotary Meeting November 19, 2008.

This week we were treated to a breakfast that included several dessert options-and why not?  We met this morning at the College of Technology with a delicious breakfast (and treats!)  prepared by the Culinary Arts students at the COT.

Our lively group welcomed several guests, introduced by Sergeant at Arms David Bardwick.  Arnie Didier brought his wife Debbie, his mother Virginia and her 'long-time significant other' Zig; Rusty Babington brought his wife Carol; Rusty Lockner brought his wife Susan; Bill St. John brought his friend Sherri; and Dick King brought his wife Tova.  Additional guests included Brent Christopherson (guest of Curt Belts); Kathy Abarr (guest of Margot Belden); and Mary Windecker (guest of Susan Cramer).  Also joining us were Julianna and Daniel (exchange students from Brazil) and Dau Ming, who will soon return to China as he's completed his PhD research work.

In lieu of 'witty banter' or his usual dose of humor, David Bardwick chose instead to spend a little time embarrassing Gordie Campbell.  It seems as treasurer for the Who's Who Revue, Gordie was responsible for sending out thank you letters under Chris Warden's signature.  Apparently two of those letters went to Clyde "New" and "Chris Pfaffhausen."  David said he'd recommend we take our taxes to Gordie, but we best assure ourselves he doesn't send them to the IRRSS.

And speaking of Who's Who Revue:  President Chris Warden announced the final accounting had been completed and he had checks to present!  Greg Johnson accepted a check for $8,845.81 for the Montana Repertory Theatre and our club received a check for $8,845.80.  Congratulations and thanks once again to all who participated in this fundraiser!

Chris Warden also announced that he, Kris Paffhausen, Krista Frederikson and Adele Gibbs attended the Western Montana Fundraisers Association luncheon last Friday and received that group's "Outstanding Service Club" award on behalf of the club.  Our club was nominated by the Youth Homes and the award was presented to us by Geoff Birnbaum.

Chris Warden announced that the Nominations Committee will soon be meeting.  We have several positions to fill for the coming Rotary year:  President Elect Nominee (who then becomes President Elect and then President), and Directors for the Foundation, Public Relations and Service Committees.  If you have interest or any nominations, please see Chris, Susan Cramer, Arnie Didier or Anne Guest.

Arnie Didier provided a reminder of our upcoming meetings:  11/26 (next week) is the holiday vendors program (and Baskets of Plenty will be available!); 12/10 is the holiday music program (at the Hilton) with entertainment by the Hellgate Chevaliers; and 12/17 is the Youth Homes Christmas breakfast program (also at the Hilton).  The sign ups for gifts for the Youth Homes children will be sent around at next week's meeting.

Arnie then introduced Chef Tom Campbell, Director of the Culinary Arts program at the COT.  Tom explained that this program is the only accredited culinary program in Montana.  The two-year program offers an AA in Food Service Management, and students move through several "rotations" including meat cutting, short order, sauces and stocks, desserts, baking, etc.  Job placement for graduates is nearly 100%. Tom also leads a culinary team in regional and national competition, and last year had a student take the national student culinarian of the year award at the national convention in Florida.  Tom explained that the team uses our meeting here each year to help fund the culinary team.

Tom then introduced Laura, head of the baking department, who in turn introduced students Rob, Blaze and David.  These three students then demonstrated the creation of a gingerbread house and along the way provided some interesting information:

--the making of gingerbread started a long time ago in Europe, and was used in medieval times because of its preservative nature
--Nuremberg, Germany is the gingerbread capital of the world
--years ago in Germany only members of the "Bakers Guild" made gingerbread
--Bakers Guild members made their gingerbread with honey (rather than molasses as is done in the US today)
--gingerbread was once used as currency

The students explained that the gingerbread itself took only about 6 minutes to bake and was made from ginger, sugar and molasses.  The frosting used to hold it all together was made from egg whites, powdered sugar and cream of tartar.  They were asked whether the entire house was edible.  One student replied, "It's all edible but I wouldn't eat it!"

In addition to the gingerbread house the students made at the meeting, they had created a charming "Ginger Hood" complete with a ski hill, cabin, several ginger people, a sled, etc.  It was quite a winter wonderland!

Tom and his students were asked what the difference was between the tall "stiff" chef's hat (as Tom wore) and the floppy chefs' hats (as the students wore).  Tom explained that it is said that the number of pleats in a chef's hat is the number of ways he can make an egg.

We closed the meeting with a recitation of the Four Way Test, and look forward to meeting again next week!