Club History

History of the Rotary Club of St Peters

The first meeting of the provisional Club was held at the Avenues Hotel, St Peters  on Tuesday 22 March 1958.  The Charter was granted on 29 April 1958 under the sponsorship of the Rotary Club of Adelaide.  There were 23 Charter Members and Lionel Catt was elected President.

The first Jumble Sale was held in March 1961 and it raised £300.

The Club sponsored the Rotary Club of Campbelltown with a Charter Dinner held on 22 April 1966.

In March 1967, the Jumble Sale made a record profit of $3,742.

In Partnership with the Rotary Club of Campbelltown, we hosted the District Conference at the Redlegs Club in March 1970.

Charter Member Fred Stewart was accepted as the District Governor  in 1971/72.

In 1972, the Club formed the Rotaract Club of St Peters with 24 members.

In 1978, the Club built the Rotary Shed on Council land adjacent to Linde Reserve with Peter Slattery taking a leading role.

In 1981, the Club participated in its first FAIM trip with building work undertaken in PNG.

In 1983, the Club established a Probus Club.

In March 1988, the Jumble Sale achieved a new record of $24,500.

In 1990, the Club achieved a new record with 56 Members and Keith Shaw became the second member of our Club to become District Governor.

In 1994, the Club established the Rotary Rummage Shop at the Marden Shopping Centre and since then it has raised over $1M to support local, national and international projects. Also in that year,  Dennis Henschke became the third member of our Club to hold the position of District Governor.

In 1997, the Club built and installed 16 seats and tables in the Linear Park and a FAIM trip to Nepal helped refurbish a medical building .

In 1998, our 2000th meeting and our 40th Birthday were held.

In 2000, the Club sponsored an orphanage in Phnom Penh and a FAIM trip to refurbish a school in Kavieng, New Ireland.

In 2002, the Club was instrumental in the chartering of  the Rotary Club of Kent Town and built accommodation for teachers at Kiunga, PNG.

In 2004, the Club provided strong support to the Australia Cambodia Foundation and erected buildings for Malaria control on Taro Island in the Solomons.

In 2005, the Club donated $25,000 to the Youth Opportunities Program and became the major sponsor..   This was followed by another $25,000 in 2006.

In 2007, the Club went to Vanuatu and constructed two classrooms and again donated $25,000 to Youth Opportunities.

In 2008, the Club celebrated its 50th Birthday and completed the material handling project at the Rotary Shed.

 

 

Home