Posted by Wendy Adams on May 27, 2019
Spring is in the air and as the weather gets warmer, take the opportunity to visit W J Bell Rotary Peace Park at 1751 Main Street in Stittsville.
 
 
The centre piece of the park is a stone labyrinth designed as a “contemplative path” for walking meditation. It is the first labyrinth to be installed on public property in the City of Ottawa. Stittsville Rotary initiated this project in partnership with the City of Ottawa’s Better Neighbourhood Program and many individuals and businesses in the community made generous donations. Opening ceremonies were conducted in October, 2015 and Rotary organized a community picnic in the park to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday in 2017. This past Saturday, Stittsville Rotarians cleaned the park to get ready for the visitors who will come to enjoy the trails and labyrinth in the summer.
This special park is named in recognition of the extensive community service of WJ Bell who donated the land so it could be enjoyed for generations to come. While not a Rotarian himself, his daughter-in-law, Grace Bell, is a charter member of the Rotary Club of Ottawa-Stittsville. The Rotary club brought forward to City Council the new name for the Park to reflect the objective of encouraging and fostering peace and the name received City approval in February 2017.
Any donations of $200 or more to support the Peace Park will be recognized by a commemorative brick along the pathway to the labyrinth. Each brick has 2 lines of writing with 12 characters per line (including spaces). Any donation over $20 will receive a tax receipt. Contact Stittsville Rotary at info@stittsvillerotary.com.