banner
News
King Bhumibol Adulyadej

On October 26 Thailand will bid a final farewell to their beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej when his funeral will be held after a year of preparation. With this solemn ceremony, we at Chiang Mai International Rotary Club will join the people of Thailand in mourning the loss of this great King who reigned on the throne of Thailand for 70 years.

While His Majesty King Bhumibol was not a Rotarian, he truly lived the Rotary ideals of service above self in his devotion to bettering the lives of his people through numerous projects and inventions. He traveled around the country learning and observing and finding ways to improve people’s lives.
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej said, “We cannot be alone and still be happy if others around us are suffering. Instead we should share their suffering and help ease their troubles according to our ability and capability.”

His selfless dedication to the people of Thailand and his tireless efforts to improve the lives of the Thai people serve as an example to us all and we will carry forward serving those ideals and the Thai community to the best of our ability. 

In addition to Sanam Luang, Bangkok, ceremonies are being held throughout Thailand to honor King Bhumibol Adulyadej
On 26 October there will be an all-day celebration of His Majesty’s life at the at the Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Centre where a replica of the funeral pyre has been built.

Rotarians from the Chiang Mai area will support this effort by providing flowers and refreshments to mourners.

Chutima Kerddecho, President of the Rotary Club of Chiang Mai is heading this effort with the support of many Rotarians from the Rotary District 3360. Chiang Mai International Rotary Club is honored to have been asked to participate in the Rotary support of this worshipful day.  

Read more...
ClubRunner
Stories
CMIRC & Mae Tao Clinic Child Development Center GED Project
Despair is disallowed!  Recently was stricken by a bout of deep sadness because our attempt to raise enough money to fund a global grant for the Burmese Migrant students fell short.    Almost immediately I was encouraged by fellow Rotarians and by the wonderful people at Mae Tao Clinic.   These people have lived for many years in a situation of political uncertainty.  They have seen funding taken away because the “important people” think it’s better to put the money in Myanmar.   At the same time, they have seen their patient and student population remain stable.   These people are here to cheer me up!!  Wow!   They have terminated my pity party and now it’s time to get back to work!   Despair is disallowed, and that’s for sure!

There is a severe shortage of funding at Mae Tao Clinic due to the loss of major donors who have chosen to give their funds to organizations based inside Myanmar.   Mae Tao Clinic is being forced to make drastic cuts in services and programs.   They need all the help they can get.   Chiang Mai International Rotary Club will raise funds to support the GED. efforts being undertaken by Mae Tao Clinic Child Development Center.         
Migrant and Refugee children attend Migrant Learning Centers. This is a very generous arrangement by the Royal Thai government.  However, these students do not receive Thai high school diplomas; therefore, they are no eligible to apply for admission to Thai universities.   In the past some have successfully taken the American based General Education Development (GED.) test which did qualify them for admission to several universities, including some in Thailand.  These students had to temporarily re-locate to Chiang Mai or Bangkok to avail themselves to curriculum which would prepare them to take the GED.  

We came up with the idea of doing a Rotary Global grant that would fund 28 students per year for 3 years to study for and take the G.E.D. test.  Sadly, we were not able to raise enough money to fund the project.   We now have a smaller project and we solicit your help!

CMIRC is very happy to announce our fundraising project to support the GED projects at Mae Tao Clinics’ Child Development Center.   Monies Raised will go to Mae Tao Clinic and will be designated for GED related expenses, specifically:

1. Salary of  their GED Coordinator / Teacher for this year
  2. Food and Lodging for 5 students preparing to take the GED at Beam in Chiang Mai
  3. GED test for 5 students in Chiang Mai
  4. GED test for 19 students at CDC in Mae Sot
To successfully fund these efforts we need to raise some 334,000 THB ( $10,450 USD).   We really need your help!    For only $250.00 USD you can fund the GED test for a bright young person who, with the opportunity, might just make a significant contribution to his or her world.   Of course, contributions of any amount are welcome.    Ways to contribute include:
  1. Make a direct deposit to our   MTC Fundraising Bank Account:
BANK:   BANK OF BANGKOK,  Kad Suan Kaew  branch
SWIFT CODE:  BKKBTHBK
ROUTING NO:  026-008-691 (For USA)
ACCOUNT HOLDERS:  MS MALIWAN-KAEWAMPHAI AND MR GERALD EDWARD NELSON
ACCOUNT NUMBER:  424-407348-4
  1. Make a deposit in our PayPal account:   mtc_funding@cmirotary.org
  1. If you are in Chiang Mai, just hand me cash and I will deposit it in the account making sure you get the credit you deserve for your generosity.  

Jerry Nelson
CMIRC Mae Tao Clinic Project Champion

==

Winter Clothing Appeal
The Children's Winter Clothing Appeal by the Chiang Mai International Rotary Club is getting ready for the upcoming cold season. With all the rain we've had, it looks like it may be a cold one and the people in the mountains will be suffering.    We need help collecting and sorting donations.  The boxes will be out from mid October to the 3rd week in November. Please ask your friends to donate clothing at any of the following locations:  Perns, UN Irish Pub, Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai International School, Dukes at Promenada, Dukes at Maya, River Market, Rimping Promenada, Rimping Hang Dong, Prem International school, Tessabahn, Chiang Mai Expats Club meetings on 28 October and Lanna Intl School open to October 30

If you are returning back to Chiang Mai from overseas please consider bringing along some children's winter clothes. Pop into your nearest thrift store and buy fuzzy warm onesies, puffy jackets, sweaters, socks, and other warm clothing for small children.   A special THANK YOU to Marty Knight who just brought our first donation from the United States and to Gary and Linda Soles who just arrived with our first donation from Canada! 

This year we are helping poor refugees at a Shan refugee camp in Wiang Haeng District. With the onset of a more peaceful Myanmar, many of these people have been forgotten.  Contact shana@cmirotary.org for more information.

==
CMIRC - Kru Payu Swim Children’s Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program
Safe Child Thailand Grant Helps to Expand our Program:
The U.K. based Safe Child Thailand foundation grant of 500,000 Baht has allowed us to plan for the expansion of our program.  We are currently teaching survival swimming and water safety to all fourth graders in the eleven Chiang Mai Municipal Schools, and thanks to Safe Child Thailand, we are exploring working with the Lampang Rotary Club to expand our program to serve all municipal schools in Lampang and working with the Warm Heart Foundation to serve municipal schools in Phrao.  Once these new programs are established, we will reach out to Bangkok as well. 

World Conference on Drowning Prevention, Vancouver, Canada, October 17-19:
John K. Schorr, Ph.D.  Children’s Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program Chair, coauthored a presentation with Asst. Prof. Wanida Lertvorapreecha-Chong of Mae Jo University, and Kru (Teacher) Natthasak Thawudom of Kru Payu Swim.  The presentation is entitled: “Using an International Service Organization to Develop a City-Wide Children’s Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program in Chiang Mai, Thailand.”  John will travel to Canada to make the presentation and to meet with Thai Ministry of Public Health, World Health Organization officials.  He will also, explore corporate sponsorships for the CMIRC program, since all major sports equipment companies will be represented.

Our Chiang Mai Program:
With the generous support of the CMIRC and other donors, we have already completed 15 hours of swim and water safety instruction for all fourth graders in five municipal schools.  We are planning a certificate ceremony for those who have successfully completed the program and we are scheduling dates to teach the remaining six municipal schools before the end of June, 2018.

Would you like to help?  We have refined and revised our program, so that we can now provide 15 hours of swim and water safety instruction for about 500 Baht (US$15) per 4th grade child. One entire 4th grade at a school can be taught for about 17,000 Baht (US$510). Feel free to contact me at john@cmirotary.org , if you have questions or wish to provide assistance for our project.
==

Read more...
CMIRC APIS Interact Club

The Interact Club at American Pacific International School (APIS) has their first service trip this Saturday! The Interact members will be surveying Mae Dat Noi School in order to plan, fundraise for, and complete a service project with this school. Our survey trip will include a discussion with the teachers to understand the basic needs of the students and a tour of the small school to understand firsthand what may benefit these students. We will also be doing some activities with the local students and donating some sports equipment including basketballs, badminton sets, frisbees, and jump ropes.

The Interact Club will be holding some fundraisers in October and November in order to raise money to purchase school supplies for the students at Mae Dat Noi School. In order to supplement their efforts, I have created an online fundraiser and would appreciate anyone who is willing to give just a small amount - only $7 can supply one student with what they need for a whole year! www.youcaring.com/APISInteractThailand

For any further questions, feel free to email Stasha: stashamalcolm@gmail.com

Dazzling Disco Saturday Night at Duangtawan Hotel 
Did you make it to the Chiang Mai International Rotary Clubs Dazzling Disco Saturday Night?   Well, if you missed it you missed the best CMIRC party to date.   The bar has been raised.  The food and drink was great, the band was awesome and we raised a lot of money for our children's projects. 

I would like to thank all who attended and supported:    Our honorary member Colin Jarvis gave his time, talent and fuel to provide the sound system and more!   Without Colin the night would have been far less a success both in the quality of sound and the net to charity.  THANK YOU COLIN!  

Also, I would like to thank our neighboring Rotary Clubs for their support, The Rotary Club of Thinthaingam,  The Rotary Club of Chiang Mai and the Rotary Club of Chiang Mai North.   Did you know that Chiang Mai North is our sponsoring club?  

Without our generous sponsors, we could have no lucky draw.

The management and staff at the Duangtawan Hotel are fabulous!    I will certainly campaign to have future events at their property. 

==

Rotary Reward Program
Rotary International has contacted me, and all of the Rotary Club Presidents and Rotary District Governor's asking our help in promoting the Rotary Global Rewards Program.   I'm happy to pass the information along and was happy to add a link on CMIRC.

Rotary Global Rewards, our member benefits program, offers discounts on products and services from local and global merchants, along with opportunities to give back to Rotary. 

Over 33,000 members have signed in to use Rotary Global Rewards. To raise awareness of this program, you can:
  1. Recommend Rotary Global Rewards to all club members. They can visit www.rotary.org/globalrewards from a computer or download the Rotary Club Locator App to use the program on mobile devices.
  2. Post a "Rewards" link to www.rotary.org/globalrewards on your club and district websites. This gives members easier access to Rotary Global Rewards.
  3. Encourage club members to post offers on Rotary Global Rewards. 
  4. Suggest that club members help the program grow in their communities by asking local merchants to post offers. 
You can find instructional videos, how-to-guides, and promotional materials on the Rotary Global Rewards page of My Rotary.  If you have any questions about the program, write to rotaryglobalrewards@rotary.org. 

Thank you for your help, and congratulations again on your new role.

Sincerely, 

The Rotary Global Rewards staff

==