banner
Stories
King Bhumibol Adulyadej

On October 26 Thailand will bid a final farewell to their beloved King Bhumibol Adulyadej when his funeral will be held after a year of preparation. With this solemn ceremony, we at Chiang Mai International Rotary Club will join the people of Thailand in mourning the loss of this great King who reigned on the throne of Thailand for 70 years.

While His Majesty King Bhumibol was not a Rotarian, he truly lived the Rotary ideals of service above self in his devotion to bettering the lives of his people through numerous projects and inventions. He traveled around the country learning and observing and finding ways to improve people’s lives.
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej said, “We cannot be alone and still be happy if others around us are suffering. Instead we should share their suffering and help ease their troubles according to our ability and capability.”

His selfless dedication to the people of Thailand and his tireless efforts to improve the lives of the Thai people serve as an example to us all and we will carry forward serving those ideals and the Thai community to the best of our ability. 

In addition to Sanam Luang, Bangkok, ceremonies are being held throughout Thailand to honor King Bhumibol Adulyadej
On 26 October there will be an all-day celebration of His Majesty’s life at the at the Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Centre where a replica of the funeral pyre has been built.

Rotarians from the Chiang Mai area will support this effort by providing flowers and refreshments to mourners.

Chutima Kerddecho, President of the Rotary Club of Chiang Mai is heading this effort with the support of many Rotarians from the Rotary District 3360. Chiang Mai International Rotary Club is honored to have been asked to participate in the Rotary support of this worshipful day.  

World Conference on Drowning Prevention
CMIRC Rotarian John Schorr made a presentation at the World Conference on Drowning Prevention in Vancouver, B.C., Canada on October 17.  The poster presentation is entitled “Using an International Service Organization to Develop a City-Wide Children’s Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program in Chiang Mai, Thailand.” The presentation is coauthored with Prof. Wanida Lertvorapreecha-Chong (Mae Jo university) and Khun Natthasak Thawudom (Kru Payu Swim).  The World Conference on Drowning Prevention is co-sponsored by the World Health Organization and it will bring almost 1,000 people together from over 50 nations to discuss this major public health problem.  Using our Children’s Water Safety and Drowning Prevention Program for municipal school 4th graders as an example, we hope to demonstrate how community-based service organizations like CMIRC can help reduce the number of drowning deaths.

City Life Garden Fair
The City Life Garden Fair is rapidly approaching.   The date is 25 November and the location is the Chiang Mai University Art Center on Nimmanhaemin road.    This fundraising event presents an opportunity for everyone to be involved; and we need your support!

Our project Champion, Mike Lake will need volunteers to help collect items, to help with pricing and to man our tables on the day. 

Everyone is encouraged to go through your belongings and find a few things to donate for the club for re-sale.  Certainly it’s O.K. to collect items from your friends and family as well.   In the past popular items have included a portable air-conditioner, DVD’s, art work, books, electronics, kitchen ware, hand bags and so on; pretty much anything you would expect at a spring cleaning yard sale. Items are being collected and stored at Jerry Nelson’s place.

==
CMIRC & Mae Tao Clinic Child Development Center GED Project
Despair is disallowed!  Recently was stricken by a bout of deep sadness because our attempt to raise enough money to fund a global grant for the Burmese Migrant students fell short.    Almost immediately I was encouraged by fellow Rotarians and by the wonderful people at Mae Tao Clinic.   These people have lived for many years in a situation of political uncertainty.  They have seen funding taken away because the “important people” think it’s better to put the money in Myanmar.   At the same time, they have seen their patient and student population remain stable.   These people are here to cheer me up!!  Wow!   They have terminated my pity party and now it’s time to get back to work!   Despair is disallowed, and that’s for sure!

There is a severe shortage of funding at Mae Tao Clinic due to the loss of major donors who have chosen to give their funds to organizations based inside Myanmar.   Mae Tao Clinic is being forced to make drastic cuts in services and programs.   They need all the help they can get.   Chiang Mai International Rotary Club will raise funds to support the GED. efforts being undertaken by Mae Tao Clinic Child Development Center.         
Migrant and Refugee children attend Migrant Learning Centers. This is a very generous arrangement by the Royal Thai government.  However, these students do not receive Thai high school diplomas; therefore, they are no eligible to apply for admission to Thai universities.   In the past some have successfully taken the American based General Education Development (GED.) test which did qualify them for admission to several universities, including some in Thailand.  These students had to temporarily re-locate to Chiang Mai or Bangkok to avail themselves to curriculum which would prepare them to take the GED.  

We came up with the idea of doing a Rotary Global grant that would fund 28 students per year for 3 years to study for and take the G.E.D. test.  Sadly, we were not able to raise enough money to fund the project.   We now have a smaller project and we solicit your help!

CMIRC is very happy to announce our fundraising project to support the GED projects at Mae Tao Clinics’ Child Development Center.   Monies Raised will go to Mae Tao Clinic and will be designated for GED related expenses, specifically:

1. Salary of  their GED Coordinator / Teacher for this year
  2. Food and Lodging for 5 students preparing to take the GED at Beam in Chiang Mai
  3. GED test for 5 students in Chiang Mai
  4. GED test for 19 students at CDC in Mae Sot
To successfully fund these efforts we need to raise some 334,000 THB ( $10,450 USD).   We really need your help!    For only $250.00 USD you can fund the GED test for a bright young person who, with the opportunity, might just make a significant contribution to his or her world.   Of course, contributions of any amount are welcome.    Ways to contribute include:
  1. Make a direct deposit to our   MTC Fundraising Bank Account:
BANK:   BANK OF BANGKOK,  Kad Suan Kaew  branch
SWIFT CODE:  BKKBTHBK
ROUTING NO:  026-008-691 (For USA)
ACCOUNT HOLDERS:  MS MALIWAN-KAEWAMPHAI AND MR GERALD EDWARD NELSON
ACCOUNT NUMBER:  424-407348-4
  1. Make a deposit in our PayPal account:   mtc_funding@cmirotary.org
  1. If you are in Chiang Mai, just hand me cash and I will deposit it in the account making sure you get the credit you deserve for your generosity.  

Jerry Nelson
CMIRC Mae Tao Clinic Project Champion

==

Winter Clothing Appeal
The Children's Winter Clothing Appeal by the Chiang Mai International Rotary Club is getting ready for the upcoming cold season. With all the rain we've had, it looks like it may be a cold one and the people in the mountains will be suffering.    We need help collecting and sorting donations.  The boxes will be out from mid October to the 3rd week in November. Please ask your friends to donate clothing at any of the following locations:  Perns, UN Irish Pub, Bangkok Hospital, Chiang Mai International School, Dukes at Promenada, Dukes at Maya, River Market, Rimping Promenada, Rimping Hang Dong, Prem International school, Tessabahn, Chiang Mai Expats Club meetings on 28 October and Lanna Intl School open to October 30

If you are returning back to Chiang Mai from overseas please consider bringing along some children's winter clothes. Pop into your nearest thrift store and buy fuzzy warm onesies, puffy jackets, sweaters, socks, and other warm clothing for small children.   A special THANK YOU to Marty Knight who just brought our first donation from the United States and to Gary and Linda Soles who just arrived with our first donation from Canada! 

This year we are helping poor refugees at a Shan refugee camp in Wiang Haeng District. With the onset of a more peaceful Myanmar, many of these people have been forgotten.  Contact shana@cmirotary.org for more information.

==
ClubRunner