Making a Difference in our Communities
Canmore Rotary Club Charitable Foundation
PO Box 8025, Canmore, AB T1W 2T8
July 7, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rotary Club of Canmore announces Citizen of the Year and Rotarian of the Year
The Rotary Club of Canmore has recognized Carol Picard as 2016 Citizen of the Year. The retired journalist and co-founder of the Rocky Mountain Outlook has a long history of volunteerism in the Bow Valley. Currently serving as chair of the Canadian Rockies Public School Board, Picard has been involved with the Canmore Folk Music Festival for many years and with the 2014 Alberta Winter Games.
Picard also serves as Head Cook for the Community Food & Friends program at St. Michael’s Anglican Church. This very successful community program serves an average of 145 dinners each Monday night, a total of 18,000 meals since it began in April of 2013. Leading a kitchen crew of nine, Picard has contributed more than 2,600 volunteer hours to date.
Rotarian Doug Jones nominated Picard as Rotary’s Citizen of the Year, citing her leadership skills and ‘can do’ spirit. According to Picard, “The world would not function without volunteers. I love the camaraderie that develops.”
The Rotary Club of Canmore also announced Jane Cameron as the 2015-16 Rotarian of the Year. Cameron was recognized for her commitment to Rotary and her innovative and enthusiastic efforts as Chair of Club Services.
You can pay in one installment, or with two cheques (one post-dated to January 1) or by monthly deduction from your bank account.
To initiate the automatic monthly deduction, please use this form and submit both your completed form and a cheque marked “void” to Karen Greene at the next meeting you attend.
Learn more about Youth Service and keep up to date on postings from Matthew in Thailand, Events and upcoming activities. Please copy and paste this link into your url to see all the latest for our Youth Service Facebook page.
Rotary and its partners have been working over the past two decades eradicating polio from 99% of the world. We are now on the brink of achieving this goal, but a strong push is needed to get rid of the other 1% once and for all. It is a window of opportunity of historic proportions.
Your contribution will help Rotary raise $200 million to match $355 million in challenge grants received from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. The resulting $555 million will directly support immunization campaigns in developing countries, where polio continues to infect and paralyze children, robbing them of their futures and compounding the hardships faced by their families.
As long as polio threatens even one child anywhere in the world, children everywhere remain at risk. The stakes are that high. Please contact The Rotary Club of Canmore at (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make your pledge.