National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day Commemoration
The National Park Service and the United States Navy will co-host the 75th commemoration of the attack on Pearl Harbor. This event is also supported by the City and County of Honolulu, the State of Hawaii
and the Governor's Office, members of Hawaii's congressional delegation, and other branches of the U.S. military.
The USS Oklahoma ceremony commemorates the devastating loss of the ship and 429 of its crew members. That ship was torpedoed relentlessly and capsized within 14 minutes. She represents the second greatest loss
of life of the ships struck at Pearl Harbor. Since the inception of the Memorial on Ford Island, the National Park Service has conducted on every Dec. 7 a special ceremony in the early afternoon of that honored day.
Our own Sergeant First Class Hugh Kinsey, United States Army, Retired, played Taps at the dedication of the USS Oklahoma Memorial on Dec. 7, 2007 and is returning to Pearl Harbor to play taps during this historic
75th Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day Commemoration. CNN.com is live-streaming all the special events of the day beginning at 7:30 AM local (11:30 Central); the USS Oklahoma event is scheduled for 1:00 PM local
(5:00 PM Central).
SOUTH OKC ROTARY CLUB
DEC, 2016 - JUN, 2017
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MONTHLY MEETING SCHEDULE
FOR BALANCE OF ROTARY YEAR
December 16, 2016
January 20, 2017*
February 17, 2017
March 17, 2017
April 21, 2016
May 19, 2017
June 16, 2017
*Annual Meeting in lieu of monthly board meeting
As per the Bylaws of District 5750, Past District Governor Lance Phillips is announcing that nominations for District Governor for 2019-20 are open. He will convene a Nominating Committee in early December. If you or someone you know is interested in applying, please submit an application to Lancebp2000@yahoo.com by November 26. For more information, email him or call him at 405-641-3869.
The qualifications are as follows:
Article 3: Section 7. QUALIFICATIONS OF A GOVERNOR-NOMINEE.
- Here are just a few ways you can join in and commemorate this historic milestone:
- Plan a special Rotary Day and invite everyone in your community to participate. It can be anything from a concert to a race to a birthday party with a giant cake in the shape of the Rotary wheel.
- Hold a fundraiser in your community to support a Foundation grant project, the Rotary Peace Centers, or PolioPlus.
- Organize or participate in a global grant or district grant project.
- Promote your club or district projects that are funded by the Foundation.
- Dedicate some club meetings to Rotary Foundation topics.
Of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
- Club Service focuses on making clubs strong. A thriving club is anchored by strong relationships and an active membership development plan.
- Vocational Service calls on every Rotarian to work with integrity and contribute their expertise to the problems and needs of society.
- Community Service encourages every Rotarian to find ways to improve the quality of life for people in their communities and to serve the public interest.
- International Service exemplifies our global reach in promoting peace and understanding. We support this service avenue by sponsoring or volunteering on international projects and seeking partners abroad.
- Youth Service recognizes the importance of empowering youth and young professionals through leadership development programs such as Rotaract, Interact, Rotary Youth Leadership Awards, and Rotary Youth Exchange.