Global Grant Scholars
Global Grant Scholar Program
Applications must be turned into the clubs by December 2, 2016
Deadline for clubs to submit their nominee's applications to the District is January 13, 2017
The Rotary Global Grant Scholar Program is designed to award college graduate-level students $30,000 to study abroad. Our hope is to provide an enriching experience of study and humanitarian service, encouraging students to adopt Rotary's motto of "Service Above Self" as a lifestyle.
Information for Rotary Clubs Nominating a candidate for a Rotary Global Grant Scholarship
Nominating a candidate for a Rotary Global Grant Scholarship
- The nominating Rotary Club must have a Global Grant Scholarship Committee comprised of club members.
- The application reviewed and submitted to the District Global Grants Committee must be the official application found on the District 5280 web site for 2017-2018. The application is posted on the District web site www.Rotary5280.org under the Foundation tab.
- The Club’s Global Grant Scholarship Committee must conduct an interview of applicants.
- The deadline for applications to the clubs is December 2, 2016.
- The deadline for clubs to send the applications of students they are nominating to the District Committee is January 13, 2017, 5 p.m. The applications should be sent electronically to Jewel Price, email@example.com and Richard Cortes, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The District Committee will review the applications and invite selected applicants for an interview in early March, 2017.
Requirements of the Global Scholar Program
- Study is at the graduate level; applicants must have a baccalaureate degree.
- Post-graduate study is in a Rotary District in a foreign country; applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the language of the selected host country. Even if the course of study is taught in the scholar’s native language, the scholar should complete the form as proficiency in the host country’s official language. This is a requirement of the scholarship.
- Applicants must be citizens of the U. S. or a country in which there are Rotary Clubs.
- Candidates cannot be Rotarians, Honorary Rotarians, Spouses, lineal descendants (child or grandchild), employees of a Rotary Club, District or other Rotary entity, and spouses of lineal descendants.
- The grant if awarded through the Global Grant process is for $30,000.
- The successful applicant must conduct a humanitarian project in the host district during the scholarship term. The project must be measurable, sustainable and community needs-based related to the scholar’s major area of study. Emphasis should be placed on how the project and studies relate to the scholar’s career goals and intended career path.
- Rotary Foundation Global Grants in the area of graduate level scholarships must be closely aligned with one or more of the Rotary Six Areas of Focus:
- Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution: Preferred academic programs & majors include prevention/resolution, peace and justice studies, international relations or law with a specialization in peace and conflict.
- Water and Sanitation: Preferred academic programs & majors include water science/engineering, water management, environmental science, epidemiology, and parasitology.
- Maternal and Child Health: Preferred academic programs & majors include epidemiology, nutrition, global health, public health, health promotion, and nursing and medicine.
- Education and Basic Literacy: Preferred academic programs & majors include education, literacy, curriculum development, special education, and school administration.
- Economic and Community Development: Preferred academic programs & majors include social science degrees with a specific focus on economic and community development, business degrees tailored for social business and micro entrepreneurship or microcredit.
- Disease Prevention and Treatment: Preferred academic programs & majors include public health and advanced degrees in nursing and medicine.
To nominate a candidate for a Rotary Foundation Global Grant Scholarship, contact Chairman Jewel Price.
Global Grants Scholar Chair 2016-2017
Global Grants Scholar Chair 2016-2017