Berkeley Rotary is the 4th or 5th oldest Rotary club in the world. Splitting off from the venerable #3 Oakland Club in 1916, we are getting ready for big things in our Centennial Year.
Most people have heard of Rotary but may not really know what we do. Many may be aware of Rotary's leadership role in almost completely eradicating Polio from the world, but other than that, what Rotary is about may be unclear.
Rotary has over 33,000 clubs in over 200 countries each of which have their own special traditions, but, all of them focus on living a life based on Service above Self and a personal commitment to follow the Four Way Test in our dealings with people.In Berkeley, these objectives have resulted in many great projects over the years. Currently we have numerous ongoing projects that we've been supporting over the past several years:
- Scholarships and coordination with Rotaractor and Interactor programs in Berkeley and the East Bay
- RotaCare free medical clinic in Richmond, California
- Handing out dictionaries to every third grader in Berkeley every year
- Building a school in Mexico
- Installing water filtration centers in Peru
- Establishing a Peace Grove in the hills and recognizing and awarding benevolent behaviors
- Creation and support of Berkeley Art Center
- New Orleans recovery work
- and coming soon, the development of a Centennial Project to be announced soon.