Aug 11, 2014
- Meals on Wheels: We need a driver to take the Monday shift once a month. Liz G can set you up
- KSPS: We’ll be handling the phones again in September for their fundraising event
- Centennial Trail: September is our clean up month
- Rotary Leadership Institute RLI: There is budget available to send members to this leadership training event, it is in three parts. See Linda W for more info
Aug 04, 2014
DG Norm presented our member Bill Fogg with a Paul Harris + 3 pin. Good work Bill!
Jul 28, 2014
- Drawing: We had our first drawing today with the new system of buying tickets. There was a very small attendance and still we bought $34, which is split with the club. So next week the pot is worth $57.
- Membership Meeting: Tuesday August 5th, 5:30 @ Darcy’s on Sprague & University.
- Next Board Meeting: Monday August 11th, 5:30 at Community Cremation
- District Governor Visit: Norm Mc Carvell will be visiting our club Monday August 4th. Plan on being there to meet him and hear his message for us.
- District Fall Assembly: September 20th at the CdA Resort … mark your calendars to be sure to attend.
Jul 21, 2014
- Reminder: Sunset now meets at Darcy’s 10502 E Sprague
- DG Norm McCarvell will be visiting our club Monday August 4th and be the program speaker
Jul 14, 2014
- Meals on Wheels: Mike Grimm is taking over one shift on the 3rd Monday. In September, October and November there is a 5th Monday each month and we need a volunteer to take that shift. Reportedly it takes less than an hour once you pick up the meals.
- Thank you notes were received from: Spokane Valley Partners, PACE, Friends of the Centennial Trail
- Liz Gilbert says this is her last week working at/for St Luke’s. She is retiring from there after 30 years!
Our Club Meetings
Visit our Club
We have two meetings each week. Pick the one that's best for you -
on Aug 11, 2014
Maggie and her husband started a non-profit to train service dogs for returning veterans with PTSD syndrome. It all started when her career veteran husband (a flying crew chief of a C5) returned from active duty to the states, escorting 214 fallen soldiers to Dover. He became a hermit and avoided people. They had eight kids at home and Maggie was working at the time. It was obvious to her that help was needed quickly. They began training their first service dog Bailey and received an on-line obedience training certificate.
on Aug 04, 2014
District Governor Norm Mc Carvell and his wife Jeanette were our guests and speakers, being introduced by Assistant Governor Don Roberts. Don has recently retired from a computer background and relocated from Tri Cities to Badger Lake near Cheney, WA.
on Jul 28, 2014
Our scheduled speakers didn’t show but Bill Fogg took charge and gave a very interesting talk about agriculture and the economy in Central America. He gave us a bit of history on this, noting that United Fruit Company worked there in the wet lands, developing canals to move the water out from the crops.
on Jul 21, 2014
Leanne is Dr George Schneider’s daughter. Leanne has been working in special education for 35 years and the last 10 years, her focus has been with autistic kids. Her talk entitled ‘Working with Autism Spectrum Disorder” was enlightening to the audience. We were told that this group of children is affected by over stimulation and are social pragmatics – they have impaired ability for decision making in different environments.
on Jul 14, 2014
Claudia is the current president of the Master Gardener Foundation. They have staff members and a reference library and as she puts it, ‘We do post mortems!’ The organization is a great resource for home gardeners and can answer many questions.
Birthdays & Anniversaries
Bill FoggSeptember 12
Terri CreeleySeptember 17
Doug StumboughSeptember 27
John GlenewinkelSeptember 1, 20059 years
John PedersonSeptember 12, 20068 years
Robert FrancisSeptember 28, 20095 years