Iowa City Noon Rotary

Posted by Shawn Reineke on May 07, 2018
The club received an enthusiastic high-five May greeting from our greeters, Rtns. Christina Kimerle & Ryan Bell.

Our Meeting was called to order by President Mike McKay

President Mike requested that we observe a moment of silence to acknowledge the life and passing of Rtn. Carlton Johnson. Carlton Bruce Johnson, 75, long time former Iowa City insurance professional died Monday, April 30, 2018 at Oaknoll Care Center in Iowa City, Iowa. A funeral service to celebrate Carlton’s life will be held at 11 am on Saturday, May 5, 2018 at Zion Lutheran Church.

Goat Rider: Rich Hatch

Announcements:

Rtn. Ryan Bell shared tree planting pictures from last week’s effort to plant trees at Lake McBride. Ryan and Katharine Marshall led this project and thanked the club for donations and our work.

Rtns. Katharine Marshall and Christina Kimerle made announcements regarding the Fore the House Golf Tournament. Volunteers, are needed and you may contact Katharine if you have questions. There are just 2 open team slots remaining. Please sign up, as it is expected to sell out.

Rtn. Joe Vens announced that Liberty High School has a volunteer organization, named In Shoc (Interact Students Helping Our Community).

Rtn. Tom Cook announced details surrounding the 2nd Annual Ponseti Kids for a Cause Triathlon. The date is Saturday, June 2 at the University Club, at 9a. This event is for children who are ages 4-14 years old. Register at www.kidcause.org.

Rtn. Gary Pacha announced the sale of Wild Caught Alaskan Sockeye Salmon which will support Rotary District 6000’s Annual Cleft Palate Surgical Mission to Guatemala! Make your orders by June 30th. Email Deb Dunkhase at ddunkhase@theicm.org with questions.

PROGRAM:
Rtn. Susan Brennan, Executive Director of the Iowa City Community School District Foundation introduced Stephen Murley, Superintendent of Schools. Steve described the school district as the fifth largest school system in the state and growing. The district includes 20 elementary schools, 3 junior high schools, 1 alternative and 3 comprehensive high schools. Steve indicated they have worked hard to maintain the low average class Steve is proud of the high rate 93.6% of students who graduate. He attributes this to the excellent staff in the district. Steve spoke in detail about two new programs in the district, AVID and EOS. AVID is a program designed to be sure all students succeed and as a result he expects will lead to enrolling in 4-year colleges and becoming leaders. The EOS program will connect a student with an adult at school who will encourage the student to make the best class schedule for them, including rigorous AP class recommendations.

After audience questions President McKay thanked Steve for his educational presentation. 

The meeting ended at 1:00 pm as President Mike led the assembly in reciting The Four Way Test.

MEETING:

Singing: America the Beautiful & This Land is Your Land was led by Rtn. Bob Crane with Rtn. Devin van Holsteijn on piano.

Please forward any newsworthy items and/or photos to Jon Brown or Janice Baldes to include in the weekly slide decks emailed to members prior to each meeting and shown just before Rotary meetings at the Club. You can send information to: Janice Baldes janicebaldes@gmail.com or Jon Brown at mjonBrown@taxesplusiowacity.com

For questions related to Club administration, please contact us at secretary@iowacitynoonrotary.org.

It is our policy to have all members silence their cell phones before the meeting and refrain from answering their cell phones during the meeting out of respect to the speaker and fellow members.

Our Greeter, Ryan Bell announced visiting Rotarians; Jim Peterson, Iowa City AM & Irving Olvera of Xicotepec Rotaract
Guests of Rotarians; Bryan Williams (Joe Barry); Jim Throgmorton (Tom Cilek); Zach Miller (Brent Bonner); Cuma Ozrah (Bob Crane); Amber Bird (Rives Bird); Laci Fiene (Christina Kimerle)

Program: Tom Cilek; Attendance: Nancy Droll