Club Executives & Directors
Service Above Self
We meet Thursdays at 12:00pm
IC Noon Rotary Stories
President Usha made the following announcements:
- We had a wonderful Rotary Literacy Champions Social event organized by LaDonna Wicklund and the I Can Read Songs Project Committee. A big thanks to LaDonna and her committee, and a bigger thanks to Rives and Amber Bird for hosting a beautiful evening party in their home. Rotarians: It was the greatest pleasure for President Usha to meet Rotarians’ awesome spouses and talk to them outside of Rotary! Rives entertained a small group with his wonderful piano-playing! Thank you, Rives! Given the talents of so many of our Club Rotarians, we’re going to have a “Rotary’s Got Talent” program on December 15. So, any among you who are musically-inclined, please let President Usha know!
- President Usha had the special honor and privilege to recognize our Club Rotarian—and her friend and a valuable mentor within Rotary—on behalf of The Rotary Foundation: Past President and Past Assistant Governor Jody Braverman has made significant contributions to The Rotary Foundation and is being recognized as a Major Donor.
Rotarians made the following announcements:
- Tom Cook: Ponseti Way, the former Ring Road in Iowa River Landing, will be dedicated on Saturday, October 22 prior to the Wisconsin football game. He is also looking for contacts and resources in Mexico City for the vocational training team.
- Amy Nicholson: Hosts needed for the District 6000 Annual Conference in Iowa City, May 5, 2017.
- Margaret Reese: Tickets for the Joint Service Club luncheon will be available today and each meeting before October 6. Members must have a ticket to attend the luncheon on October 6 which will be held at the same time and place as the regular Noon Rotary meeting. UI President Bruce Harreld will be the keynote speaker. For more information contact Anna Moyers Stone by email at: Astone@midwestone.com.
- Trisha Smith, Salvation Army development director thanks the volunteer painters: Brenda LaMarche, Joe Hughes, Tom Cilek, Ryan Bell, Shawn Reineke and Mike Walsh
- President Usha- The annual trip to Rotary International headquarters will be on October 28. John Lee and Cyndy Crider are planning the trip.
- President Usha shared that President-Elect Mike McKay will substitute for her and preside over the Rotary meeting on September 29 when she is away in Omaha.
Program: Rtn. Gary Wicklund (a member of the Vail Rotary Club) and Rtn. LaDonna Wicklund introduced Dr. Maria Carillo, Chief Scientific Officer of the Alzheimer’s Association. She oversees medical and scientific research, the grants and funding process for the organization, and the international conference, among other responsibilities.
Dr. Maria Carillo, Chief Scientific Officer, Alzheimer’s Association
Top Rotary International News Stories
Nigeria reclassified as polio endemic
Nigeria reported three cases of wild poliovirus in the northeastern state of Borno in August of this year. Following the World Health Organization's confirmation of these cases, the country returned to the list of polio-endemic countries. The other polio-endemic countries are Afghanistan and Pakistan. These are the first cases detected in the country since July 2014, and while this news is disappointing for all Rotary members, we are confident that Nigeria can defeat polio. Rotary provided $500,000 to assist immediately with the outbreak response, and an emergency response plan has been put...
Rotary recognized on public television's 'American Graduate Day'
Rotary was recognized on 17 September on public television's fifth annual American Graduate Day program for its work with San Diego-based Monarch School, a K-12 school for homeless youth. The Rotary Club of San Diego, California, USA, was applauded for its work mentoring Monarch's students, keeping them on track to graduate, and helping the school to continue thriving during tough economic times. Monarch School CEO Erin Spiewak appeared as one of the show's guests, along with Monarch Alumnus Cynthia Valenzuela, who attested to the positive, life-changing experience Monarch School gave her and...
July 21, 2016 with RI Past-President and young entrepreneurs from Africa.