Our club was blessed to visit the Mississauga Hospital's Neurosciences department on Friday, August 12th.
Neuro/MSK Fast Facts
· Trillium Health Partners is the regional stroke and neurosurgical centre for Mississauga-Halton and Central West Local Health Integrated Networks (LHINs), which includes Mississauga, Brampton, Oakville and Dufferin.
· Neurosciences includes complex neurosurgery, comprehensive stroke, and surgical spine care for patients of all ages.
· There are an estimated 50,000 strokes in Canada each year. That’s one stroke every 10 minutes.
· Trillium Health Partners is one of the top hospitals in Canada for administering tPA, a clot busting medication that can reverse symptoms of a stroke when administered within 4 hours of the onset of symptoms.
· The Spine Program at Trillium Health Partners include assessment, diagnosis, non-surgical and surgical management and rehabilitation.
· With $3.4 million in community support, we were able to renovate and expand our comprehensive Stroke, Neurosurgery and the Surgical Spine Unit at our Mississuaga Hospital, which opened in September 2014. The space includes:
o More private rooms with natural light, improved access, better traffic flow, and built-in technical features to enhance patient care and nursing efficiencies;
o Upgraded technology and essential equipment;
o Refreshed patient care spaces. 12 new beds have been added;
o Private room for every high-risk patient
· Ranked first among all Ontario and Canadian hospitals with 329 day surgery microdiscectomies to remove lumbar (low back) herniated disc material that’s pressing on a nerve root or the spinal cord.
· Trillium Health Partners has a neurological rehabilitation patient care unit which helps patients further recover and to learn and develop skills which will help them function more independently.
Strap Stand: The Strap Stand is a sit-to-stand machine that lifts the patient directly from a wheelchair. This supports patients who require assistance to stand or remain standing for longer periods of time. This allows them to work on their trunk control (the ability to control their torso), as well as other activities while standing. The Stand encourages weight bearing which promotes strengthening in the lower extremities which are all precursors to being able to walk again.
Motomed Peddler: The Motomed peddler benefits patients experiencing impairments to their mobility, as well as those with a variety of diagnoses, such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS), spinal cord injuries, cerebrovascular accidents (CVA), Parkinson’s disease and other neurological diseases. The peddler helps reduce spasticity (a feature of altered skeletal muscle performance with a combination of paralysis, increased tendon reflex activity and hypertonia), while improving a patient’s range of motion, strength and endurance. It also helps to counteract the consequences of lack of movement caused by circulatory disorders or conditions which shorten or harden muscles, tendons or other tissues.